Saturday, December 18, 2010

False Idols

I had an experience with my family today that made me realize something not just about myself, but about the rest of America (and probably most of the developed world). I was with my family at the beach and my sister happened to notice that a couple from the bachelor was a couple of feet away from us on the beach (cool, if you're into that. I am not). So, my sister goes over and talks to them and I assume had a very nice conversation with them. Then she says that it was the best thing that had happened to her in a long time. These people were on the bachelor, they have no other celebrity or intrinsic value other than the fact that they were on probably one of the WORST reality shows put there, yet these people made my sisters day (good for her). My point is that we have stopped thinking people like this as people (which they are) and started thinking of them as godlike figures (which they are not). The people my sister met today have not bettered the world in any way; they have not defied the laws of physics, they have not cured cancer, they have not written a symphony, yet these people are worshipped by society. It has now become my quest to figure out why these people are treated with such high esteem. 

Hypothesis #1: they give people watching the bachelor a look into the glamorous love-lives of ordinary people which proves to them that love exists and is real (and in fact, can be captured for a live television audience!). The problem with this is that the majority of the contestants on the bachelor end up separating after the show ends, trust me, I looked.

Hypothesis #2: they are really, really, ridiculously good-looking (sort of). 

I think we can all take advice from this occurrence and remember that if we meet somebody that we admire, that they are just people (except for Sean Connery). I'm sure some celebrities feed off of their fame, so why should we be so inclined to give it to them?  These people deserve nothing but humility and a soft-spoken handshake or word of encouragement from the "regular" population, which they are just as much a part if as we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment