Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Bill Frisell and the rest of the summer listening

Third post of the summer listening project!  I haven't really been listening to much jazz though, which makes it really refreshing to listen to when I get back to it.  I've kind of just been going down the list and checking things off as I go!  Here's just a portion of what I've been checking out:

Ghostface Killah - Ironman
Stefon Harris - Evolution
Atmosphere - God Loves Ugly
Joy Division - Closer
Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica
LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem
Cypress Hill - Pigs
Lee Konitz & Hal Galper - Windows
Dr. Dre - The Chronic
Gerry Mulligan & Lee Konitz - Revelation
Battle - Gloss Drop
Talib Kweli - Quality
Lee Konitz & Red Mitchell - I Concentrate On You
The Cranberries - No Need to Argue
Killer Mike - Pl3dge
Jerry Bergonzi - Convergence
Lush - Split
Marvin Gaye - What's Goin' On 
2Pac - All Eyez On Me
Donny Hathaway - Donny Hathaway
Peter Kowald & Vinny Golia - Mythology
Lee Konitz - Alone Together
Tyondai Braxton - Central Market
Bill Frisell - Have A Little Faith

As you can see I went through a pretty hard Lee Konitz phase, but what I didn't include was all of the Krautrock music that I was listening to (Kraftwerk, Can, Neu!, Amon Duul II, and Tangerine Dream) which I realized after listening to a lot of it, it sounds the same.  

I also just finished listening to Have A Little Faith by Bill Frisell today and it really blew my mind.  He fuses so many different styles of music together in a very easy to listen to format.  Anyways, that's what I've been up to.

1 comment:

  1. Man, good to see you're checkin out the Konitz, have you heard the new record "live at birdland) with him and Mehldau, Haden, Motian? There's a few great trio records of the band without Motian, and there is also "Angel Song" with Dave Holland, Kenny Wheeler and Frisell. I gotta take your cue and do more blog posts about what albums I am listening to. I think I used to do that more when I first started the blog, but hadn't done anything like that in a while.

    ReplyDelete